Functional machine safety is a complex field of activity which must be taken into consideration in various fields within plant and system engineering as well as industrial production:
- The requirements of the Machinery Directive and the norms assigned to it apply for mechanical and electrical construction.
- This results in specific procedures and processes such as risk assessment and the declaration of conformity.
- Further guidelines (e.g. Low-Voltage and the EMC Directive) should also be taken into account.
- Other requirements regarding machine safety apply outside the EU, and these must be observed when exporting.
- Depending on the use of the machine, other normative requirements may arise (explosion protection, hygiene...).
- The users / purchasers of the machine must ensure that they can safely operate their machine. There are also regulations to this effect (e.g. the Betriebssicherheitsverordnung - the German ordinance on health and safety).
- In addition, other or special requirements are applicable regarding the integration of machines into complete systems, as well as the modernisation and conversion of available machines.